KEVIN MATTHEW STEVENS
MARICOPA / KLAMATH POTTER
Signature: Kevin Stevens, K. Stevens, KS, KS with a P,
KS with three dots, Kevin Stevens Maricopa.
Comments: Kevin states "Making pottery is hard!"
Year started making pottery: 2004 at age 16.
Mother: Druscilla Stevens
Pottery Making Relatives:
Great Aunt - Beryl Stevens
Grandmother - Gertrude Stevens Ruelas
Great Grandmother - Mabel Sunn
Aunt: Theroline Bread
Aunt: Barbara Johnson
Half Aunt: Avis Cerna Pinon
Maricopa: A Desert People and Their Incredible Red Pottery
Native Peoples Heard Fair Guide 2011
1. Pee-Posh Black-on-White Seedjar by Kevin Mathew Stevens
2. Pee-Posh Black-on-Red Seedjar by Kevin Mathew Stevens
3. Pee-Posh Plainware Jarr by Kevin Mathew Stevens,
shown in the second photo with sherds from a miniature seedjar.
4. Pee-Posh highly polished White Seedjar by Kevin Mathew Stevens
5. Pee-Posh Black-on-White Seedjar with star design by Kevin Mathew Stevens
6. Pee-Posh Red-on-White Jar by Kevin Mathew Stevens
This vessel has a very unique polished red rim and matte red designed body,
showing how the red paint can vary in color depending on surface treatment.
7. Pee-Posh Black-on-White Seed Jar
by Kevin Mathew Stevens & Phyllis Cerna
This seed jar is Kevin's first for this form made in collaboration with
one of his teachers, Phyllis Cerna. It is by far of the best vessels we have seen,
not only in vessel form and weight, but also in color.
8. Pee-Posh Black-on-Red Bowl by Kevin Mathew Stevens.
This is the first bowl that Kevin made, along with the seed jar above, and the vase below, Kevin kept with the tradition of giving away the first of each of the forms made to his mother, Drucilla Stevens.
9. Pee-Posh Black-on-Red Jar
Kevin signed this vessel with his initials and three dots. The three dots stand for each of the potters, honoring all potters involved in the making of this jar.
10. Pee-Posh Red-on-Buff Pottery Box by Kevin Mathew Stevens.
Approximate Dimensions: 5 6/8" by 3 1/8" by 1 1/2"
Inspired by viewing the Hohokam Sacaton Red-on-Buff vessel #H9N, Kevin made the first box shaped vessel ever known to be made by a Pee-Posh potter.
11. Pee-Posh Red-on-Polished White Jar with Geometric and Splatter Designs
by Kevin Mathew Stevens.
Approximate Dimensions: 4 1/4 " by 4 1/2"
12. Pee-Posh Red-on-Polished White Seed Jar by Kevin Mathew Stevens.
Approximate Dimensions: 2 7/8" by 4"
13. Pee-Posh Black-on-Polished Red Vase by Kevin Mathew Stevens.
Approximate Dimensions: 4" by 3"
14. Pee-Posh Polished Red Ware Vase by Kevin Mathew Stevens.
Approximate Dimensions: 6 3/8" by 4 1/2"
15. A sample of Pee-Posh Red-on-Buff pottery ornaments
made by Kevin Mathew Stevens.
The butterfly's approximate dimensions is 3" by 2 1/2"
Copyright: 2008, 2009